Understanding the Transformation of Vape Cartridge Oil
Vape cartridges can sometimes undergo a mysterious transformation, with their cannabis oil turning a dark brown color. In this article, we delve into the reasons behind this occurrence, explore the inner workings of vape cartridges, and offer guidance on maintaining your cartridges for prolonged use. Buy Friendly farms Carts Arkansa
Unveiling the Contents of Your Cannabis Vape Cartridge
Each vape cartridge houses approximately one gram of cannabis concentrate oil, rich in cannabinoids and terpenes. At the base of the cartridge, a metal plate is heated by the battery, situated at one end of the vape pen, which vaporizes the oil for inhalation.
While dried flower loses potency over time due to the gradual evaporation of terpenes, vape cartridges have a longer shelf life. However, it’s important to note that they don’t last indefinitely.
How Cartridge Oil Changes Over Time
Cannabis oil consists of lipids and complex molecular chains with relatively weak bonds. The regular heating of this oil results in the breakdown of these molecular bonds. It’s worth highlighting that, regardless of the delivery method, THC molecules in cannabis tend to degrade into CBN over time. CBN has milder psychotropic effects. The rate of THC degradation in your vape cartridge depends on several factors:
1. Temperature Influence
- Both internal and external heat sources affect oil and THC degradation.
- External sources include exposure to high temperatures in enclosed spaces, body heat through pockets, and hot weather conditions.
2. Impact of Light
- Exposure to light, especially sunlight, accelerates the transformation of THC into CBN, which has certain medicinal benefits.
Signs of a Deteriorating Vape Cartridge
While vaping an older cartridge may not pose serious health risks, here are indicators that your cartridge may need replacement:
1. Check the Oil’s Clarity and Viscosity
- The oil should maintain its original clear, viscous, and transparent appearance.
- Discoloration or a change to a brown hue signifies a need for disposal.
- Thick, sludgy, cloudy, or crystalline oil is a clear sign to discard the cartridge.
2. Taste Test
- A bitter or sour taste, increased coughing, fatigue, or headaches suggest the cartridge is no longer suitable.
3. Potency Loss
- A noticeable reduction in the cartridge’s potency is another sign of deterioration.
Prolonging the Lifespan of Your Vape Cartridge
By investing in high-quality cartridges and storing them correctly, you can extend their usability for up to a year without potency loss. Here are some tips:
1. Source Trustworthy Cartridges
- Purchase cartridges from reputable suppliers, like local medical cannabis dispensaries.
- Ensure they provide essential information such as lab reports, ingredient lists, and place of origin. Buy Friendly Farms Carts Arkansas
2. Disconnect from the Battery
- Remove the cartridge from the battery when not in use to prevent ongoing heating and oil degradation.
- This also minimizes the risk of oil leakage and cartridge damage.
3. Store in a Suitable Environment
- Maintain a cool, dry storage space, avoiding temperatures above 70°F, as high temperatures can lead to THC degradation.
- Consider using a protective case for portable storage to shield the cartridge from heat, especially if carried in a pocket.
4. Opt for a Hash Oil Syringe
- To preserve oil, buy a hash oil syringe to refill cartridges.
- Store the oil in a cool, dry place until needed.
In conclusion, understanding the changes in your vape cartridge oil and taking proactive steps to maintain its quality can ensure a more enjoyable and longer-lasting vaping experience. Buy Friendly farms Carts Arkansa